tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Rashmi Rubdi" <rashmi....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Getting a project deployed
Date Thu, 19 Apr 2007 14:03:52 GMT
Ok, if you insist on having an Apache Httpd (even though you may or
may not need it), someone on this list might help you further
configure it.

But I just wanted to say a few things... my reply is below...

On 4/19/07, John Calsbeek <nexuapex@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah, this isn't my webserver. I'm not excited about pulling out an
> existing Apache setup...
>
> On 4/18/07, Rashmi Rubdi <rashmi.sub@gmail.com> wrote:
> > It is most likely that the project is not configured properly. We can
> > fix the 404 error by properly configuring your project for Tomcat
> > alone.
> >
> > For starters, what is the absolute path of this index.jsp from the
> > root folder of the Linux machine?
>
> /srv/www/tomcat5/base/webapps/jmarks/index.jsp

Normally in Tomcat a JSP page with the above absolute path is accessible at
http://localhost:8080/jmarks/index.jsp , where jmarks is known as the context

As Hassan mentioned earlier you would be able to change the port to 80
, the port configuration is in server.xml , look for where it says
8080 (only in case you want to change it in Tomcat and not through
Apache).

> /srv/www/tomcat5/base/webapps/jmarks is aliased with Apache to the
> HTTP path /path/to/jmarks

The above aliasing of paths also works in Tomcat alone with the use of
Filters. The aliasing is commonly known as URL Rewriting - normally
people write their own Filters or download and install a pre-written
one - Google will help here.

> When I had this folder directly in /srv/www/htdocs/path/to/jmarks, I
> had the same problem—*.html works fine, *.jsp does not.

Check the configuration of the above aliasing. Normally URL Rewriting
is done in a sequence, the first matching path pattern is applied, so
it helps to check all patterns and see which is the first one that's
being applied.

-Rashmi