tomcat-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Frank W. Zammetti" <fzli...@omnytex.com>
Subject Re: Filter class not found problem
Date Tue, 03 Apr 2007 14:26:46 GMT
I actually do have the JDK installed, my bad for not stating that
clearly... I was just stating the JRE version that would be used by
Tomcat, since the JRE of course comes with the JDK, but I wasn't clear...
you do raise an intersting point though, I wonder if I have to specify
JRE_HOME anyway?  I can tell you that when I start Tomcat, it reports the
JRE directory as c:\java15, exactly as I expect, so I kind of doubt that's
it.

FYI, I am in fact using the directory structure Tomcat had by default,
which is CATALINA_HOME/lib, and servlet-api.jar is in there... I just
tried creating CATALINA_HOME/common/lib because all the documentation I
found online talks about that directory, and while I figured it was just
documentation not having been updated for the latest version, I figured it
was worth a try.

Bottom line: I have it set up as you say, except for the JRE_HOME env var,
which I tend to doubt will do it (will try when I get home tonight
anyway), but I'm still stuck with the same problem.

As another fact mixed in: I tried a simple test: I dropped to a command
prompt and just tried to compile a simple filter on its own... it failed
because none of the servlet API classes were in the classpath.  This is
good because it proves I don't have a servlet.jar floating around in the
system classpath (I was still hoping the FAQ entry about a stray
servlet-api.jar floating around might be right, but that would seem to
indicate pretty strongly it isn't).

Frank


-- 
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect
Omnytex Technologies
http://www.omnytex.com
AIM/Yahoo: fzammetti
MSN: fzammetti@hotmail.com
Author of "Practical Ajax Projects With Java Technology"
 (2006, Apress, ISBN 1-59059-695-1)
Java Web Parts - http://javawebparts.sourceforge.net
 Supplying the wheel, so you don't have to reinvent it!

On Tue, April 3, 2007 3:11 am, Rashmi Rubdi wrote:
> On 4/2/07, Frank W. Zammetti <fzlists@omnytex.com> wrote:
>> Hey folks... I'm having a real pain of a problem here... vital stats:
>>
>> JRE 1.6.0-b105 (JDK 6)
>> Tomcat 6.0.10
>>
>
> Since you have installed the JRE and not the JDK, I suppose you must
> set the JRE_HOME environment variable, and remove the JAVA_HOME
> environment variable.
>
> On my installation of Tomcat 6.0.10 there is no
> CATALINA_HOME/common/lib , but there's only a CATALINA_HOME/lib
> folder which contains servlet-api.jar by default.
>
> So I recommend using the default folder structure that came with
> Tomcat 6.0.10 fresh install.
>
> It should be fine if you have servlet-api.jar which contains the
> javax.servlet.Filter class under
> k:\tomcat6010\lib\
>
>
>
>>
>> For completeness, environment variables I have:
>>
>> CATALINA_HOME=k:\tomcat6010
>> JAVA_HOME=c:\java15
>> Path=c:\java15\bin;k:\tomcat6010\bin;x:\classes\apache-ant-1.7.0\bin
>> ...NO classpath defined...
>>
>> I don't think there's any other relevant env vars.
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To start a new topic, e-mail: users@tomcat.apache.org
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@tomcat.apache.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@tomcat.apache.org
>
>


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To start a new topic, e-mail: users@tomcat.apache.org
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@tomcat.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@tomcat.apache.org


Mime
View raw message