tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Shankar Unni <shankaru...@netscape.net>
Subject Re: Specifying relative path for TOMCAT 5.5 ?
Date Fri, 02 Mar 2007 01:05:16 GMT
Rajendra Sakpal wrote:

> 1.> I am gathering that "/" refers to the drive where my Tomcat is
> installed on Windows.  (With file path as "/subscribers.txt" the file is created at
> the root of the drive.)

That's right:

1. **there is no special meaning for "/"**.

It's as if you went into a command-line window and typed in that name.
On Windows, it refers to the root directory of your current drive. On
Unix/Linux-type machines, it is the root.

2. Tomcat may or may not have permissions to write to the root
directory. (Depending on process ownership, and the ownership of the
root directory).

3. Even if Tomcat has permissions, if it is set up with a security
manager, that will (may) prevent you from accessing anything outside
/WEB-INF.