tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Ron Wheeler <rwhee...@artifact-software.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 6 will not compile under Windows with the current Java
Date Fri, 02 Mar 2007 15:46:30 GMT

Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: Ron Wheeler [mailto:rwheeler@artifact-software.com]
>> Subject: Re: Tomcat 6 will not compile under Windows with the
>> current Java
>>

>>>  With the advent of Tomcat's NIO connector, the
>>> APR one is probably superfluous, so you don't need that either.
>>>

>> I do not understand this comment. What does this refer to? Do
>> I need to do anything here?
>>

> No, I was just pointing out that the only platform-dependent code
> associated with Tomcat is the APR connector (tcnative-1.dll).  The
> performance advantages of using that connector have been largely
> eliminated by the pure Java NIO connector in Tomcat 6.
>

>  - Chuck

Thanks, I did not recognize the original terminology although APR was a
bit of a hint.
I did upgrade the tcnative-1.dll since Tomcat complained when it started
that I had an old version.
The references in the Tomcat documentation to tcnative-1.dll is a bit
sketchy and it is very easy to overlook this file and a bit hard to find
it if you need to upgrade it.
I am not sure if Tomcat will start without it and it bitches if you are
not running the latest version.

Ron