tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Smith <d...@cornell.edu>
Subject Re: create[8005]: java.net.BindException: error occured while starting tomcat on Ubuntu Plateform
Date Thu, 01 Mar 2007 13:06:34 GMT
hetal wrote:

>"StandardServer.await: create[8005]: java.net.BindException: Cannot assign
>requested address"
>
>I have installed j2sdk1.5 and tomcat-5.0.28 on ubuntu plateform.
>
>I have changed port no in server.xml also but still i am facing same
>problem..
>
>error that is displayed in catalina.out is as under:
>
>StandardServer.await: create[8015]: java.net.BindException: Cannot assign
>requested address
>java.net.BindException: Cannot assign requested address
>        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketBind(Native Method)
>        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.bind(PlainSocketImpl.java:359)
>        at java.net.ServerSocket.bind(ServerSocket.java:319)
>        at java.net.ServerSocket.<init>(ServerSocket.java:185)
>        at
>org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.await(StandardServer.java:496)
>        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.await(Catalina.java:619)
>        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:579)
>        at
>sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
>        at
>sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
>        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:287)
>        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:425)
>

>so please anybody have any solution then help me.

In one case I responded to about a year ago now, it turned out the issue
was a messed up localhost interface.  The shutdown port in tomcat binds
explicitly to the localhost interface (127.0.0.1) so that interface
needs to be working correctly.  Can you confirm the localhost interface
is working?

Also one other instance I've seen on the list (sorry, no personal
experience with this) had to do with the OS having issues with IPv6.
That was in a *nix distribution.  I don't remember much beyond that, but
a search at google might dig up the original thread.

--David