tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Martin.X.Zai...@nab.com.au
Subject System property use in web.xml?
Date Thu, 22 Feb 2007 03:36:53 GMT

I've inherited a webapp which includes a system property reference (ie.,
"region") in its web.xml (BTW, this context-param is used to lookup a
Spring context file---e.g. /WEB-INF/jmsContext-eur.xml)

    <context-param>
        <param-value>
            /WEB-INF/jmsContext-${region}.xml,
        </param-value>
    </context-param>

When I deploy this webapp to Tomcat 5.5.12, and define a command-line
system property with '-Dregion=eur' in catalina.sh, it works fine: the
jmsContext-eur.xml file is found.

However, when I try to deploy this webapp to Websphere 6.0.x, even after
defining a custom property for 'region' in the server profile, I get a:

java.io.FileNotFoundException: /WEB-INF/jmsContext-${region}.xml,

 when the server starts.

While my immediate problem is how to deploy the webapp to Websphere, my
question to this group is this: Which component is responsible for this
behaviour (the parsing of the web deployment descriptor and the
substitution of the system property)?  Is it expected J2EE 1.4
behaviour---ie., something I can complain to IBM about?

Thanks,

Martin

National Australia Bank Ltd - ABN 12 004 044 937
This email may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please
immediately notify us at postmaster@nab.com.au or by replying to the sender, and then destroy
all copies of this email. Except where this email indicates otherwise, views expressed in
this email are those of the sender and not of National Australia Bank Ltd. Advice in this
email does not take account of your objectives, financial situation, or needs. It is important
for you to consider these matters and, if the e-mail refers to a product(s), you should read
the relevant Product Disclosure Statement(s)/other disclosure document(s) before making any
decisions. If you do not want email marketing from us in future, forward this email with "unsubscribe"
in the subject line to Unsubscriptions@nab.com.au in order to stop marketing emails from this
sender. National Australia Bank Ltd does not represent that this email is free of errors,
viruses or interference.