tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Peter Crowther" <Peter.Crowt...@melandra.com>
Subject RE: A junk file is downloaded when port number and connection scheme is mismatched in the URL
Date Tue, 13 Feb 2007 15:57:55 GMT
> From: uday shankar Aghalaya boregowda
> i.,e http://<servername>:8443
>
> Is there any way I can handle this scenario and send a page
> not found or any other standard errors to the user instead of
> making him see the junk characters or having him to download
> a junk file(as in firefox)

No.  By spec, SSL negotiation is the very first thing that happens on a
SSL connection occurring; there's no way to determine that a non-SSL
connection is being attempted.

As Markus says, "don't do that".  If it's important that user error is
minimised, it's important enough to use standard port numbers - and, if
needed, to redirect users from the insecure to the secure port at an
appropriate time.

		- Peter