tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: OutOfMemoryError (but not really out of memory?) cause tomcatprocesses to hang
Date Wed, 07 Feb 2007 23:58:49 GMT
> From: Sharon French [mailto:sfrench@xtensible.com]
> Subject: RE: OutOfMemoryError (but not really out of memory?)
> cause tomcatprocesses to hang
>
> I'm assuming that whomever was sucking up the memory has
> either given it back or died off - right?

Not necessarily.  The OOME could have been presented due to an
unreasonably large request that could never be satisifed.  The memory
won't be given back until another GC has run, although minor GCs run
quite frequently in a HotSpot JVM.

> Now it's down to how do I catch the culprit?

The first step is to turn on -verbose:gc so you can get a better idea of
what's happening when.  You might want to update the JVM to the current
1.5.0_11 level, just to make sure it's not some sort of heap management
problem in your relatively old level.

You should have stack traces to go with the OOME reports; where do these
show the execution to be?

> Given that after such an error occurs, we have plently
> of memory, and plenty of threads sitting in await(),
> any ideas on why the connections to apache end up in
> SYN_RECV?

Sorry, I have no experience with httpd.

> the OutOfMemoryErrors always indicate "java heap space".
> Is this error message reliable?

It should be in 1.5; 1.4 gave no clue as to the actual underlying
clause.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.