tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Rashmi Rubdi <dev_subscripti...@yahoo.com>
Subject [OT]Re: Large number of active sessions
Date Thu, 08 Feb 2007 06:31:07 GMT
I agree that many have experienced the jsessionid on URLs accessed by bots, perhaps it happens
in a Struts environment or some other environment.

In certain set-ups (only JSPs, no servlets, no MVC - session is removed and created freshly
on each JSP page) the jsessionid doesn't appear on URLs accessed by bots like Googlebot even
when the JSP page uses sessions, and that confuses me. I've verified the absense of jsession
id in the URLs accessed by Googlebot in the server logs.

This inconsistent appearance of jsessionid for certain set-ups doesn't bother me, it's just
a matter of curiosity.

-Rashmi

----- Original Message ----
From: Pid p@pidster.com

> Some bots also use sessions.

I disagree, the bot has no capability to decide to use a session.

A bot would only appear to use a session if it was HTTP/1.1 capable, and
was handling cookies or encoded URLs properly.

Most bots get pages asynchronously, I've observed Googlebot hitting url
encoded pages with jsessionids generated days beforehand, during a
may account for apparently older creation dates appearing the list of
active/recent session.

(A guess: I don't know enough about the internals of Tomcat to be sure
of that.)