tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Fran Varin <FVA...@AMICA.com>
Subject RE: Context.INITIAL_CONTEXT_FACTORY
Date Thu, 01 Feb 2007 17:52:44 GMT

Well, let me see if I can paint an accurate picture...The application as it
is currently running in WAS uses a properties file to externalize everything
we need to connect to a datasource. The code itself will add the initial
context class name to the properties file that is handed to
javax.naming.initialcontext at the time the context object is constructed.
We use WAS' admin console to define the datasources and it really is that
simple.

I've looked at so many resources from the apache Tomcat site (as well as
googled a bunch) and everything seems to dance around the specific steps
necessary for accomplishing this. I have to be missing something...this
can't be this hard. As I mentioned in a previous response...frustration with
Tomcat is at an all time high here as everything we do, no matter how simple
it seems, turns into an adventure. We are basically new users of Tomcat and
like the idea of using it for testing purposes and possibly for some smaller
apps in production. But, at this point we cannot begin to support it mostly
because of the lack of accessible, thorough documentation that does not
assume you understand the internal structure.

Sorry for the rant! :(

Fran