tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Williams, Allen" <awill...@harris.com>
Subject RE: where to store user-generated files?
Date Wed, 21 Feb 2007 15:29:42 GMT
Gotcha.  So, servlets can access the file system just like any other
java or C++ program?  I was thinking they were restricted, but now that
I'm thinking about it I think I was confusing that with applets.  If
tomcat is running as user tomcat55, do the servlets run as the same
user, so you can set file permissions up with something like rwx------
(700) if you make the directory owned by tomcat55?

Thanks, and Regards,
________________________
Allen Williams
allen.williams@harris.com
Office: (321)309-7931
Mobile: (321)258-1272
FAX: (321)727-9607

-----Original Message-----
From: Caldarale, Charles R [mailto:Chuck.Caldarale@unisys.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 21, 2007 9:50 AM
To: Tomcat Users List; john.pedersen@gmail.com
Subject: RE: where to store user-generated files?

> From: Williams, Allen [mailto:awilli08@harris.com]
> Subject: RE: where to store user-generated files?
>
> Doesn't there have to be a mapping or alias somewhere (server.xml,
> web.xml,...?) that resolves, or translates
> "ThisTypeofFileName.ext" into
> "/real/path/in/OS/ThatTypeOfFileName.oxt"?

Yes.  Normally, such static content is handled by Tomcat's
DefaultServlet, and the file system mapping must correspond to the URI
path.  In this case, a servlet of your app will be handling the request,
and it's up to your app to implement whatever mapping you desire.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.