tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Hugues Ferland <hugu...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: webapp, ServletContextListener and log files
Date Tue, 06 Feb 2007 22:16:22 GMT
I apologize for this previous mail, I realized this was just plain wrong. It was stdout and
stderr that was written to catalina_XXXX.log (though I don't know where that log file is configured
- there is also a catalina.out which remains empty).

This lead me ask: What <Context .... swallowOutput="..."> really do? As I understood
it, it was supposed to indicate to Tomcat whether it should smallow stdout and stderr and
write them to its log file. But I tried both true and false with no apparent difference.

Thanks,

Hugues

Hugues Ferland <huguesf@yahoo.com> wrote: Hi,

I use Tomcat 5.5 with Java 1.6.0-b105 on a Debian Linux.

I have a context defined and want all of its logging to be in its own logfile. The first thing
I tried is to modify the file logging.properties, in the conf directory of my Tomcat installation,
adding a handler for my new context.

This looked good until I added a ServletContextListener. Now what is logged during the execution
of the method contextInitialized, is written to  catalina_XXXX.log (the logfile defined in
the Tomcat startup script).

I'd like that to be logged in the same logfile as the rest of the context. I would really
appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Hugues

Be smarter than spam. See how smart SpamGuard is at giving junk email the boot with the All-new
Yahoo! Mail