tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <>
Subject Re: meanings of "-lapr-0 -lgcc -lc -lsocket -lnsl" in Makefile while building
Date Fri, 02 Feb 2007 15:29:50 GMT

On Jan 31, 2007, at 1:36 AM, Zack Grafton wrote:

> Maulik,
> In the line:
> LD_SHAREDCMD=ld -G -fPIC -lapr-0 -lgcc -lc -lsocket -lnsl
> I can't tell which one is bold, but anyway, that line specifies
> which linker command to use, and the -l options specify the loading
> of a library.  You should check the man page for 'ld'.
> And in the line:
>    -DMCC_HTTPD -DSPAPI20 -Wall \
>    -fPIC
> The -Wall option is telling the compiler to give you all the
> warnings it can provide.

I'd recommend not using gcc at all, otherwise it's possible
(in fact likely) that you'll run into a relocation error
when using with SunONE (missing __lshrdi3). Instead
use Sun Studio.

Also, the Makefile.solaris seems broken as well (looking
into it and will fix soon) so just do a

    cp ../common/*.c .
    cp ../common/*.h .

while in ./netscape and the build should proceed OK.

To start a new topic, e-mail:
To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message