tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Stefan <stefan.rie...@telig.de>
Subject Re: Get rid of 8080 port in Tomcat 3.3
Date Thu, 22 Feb 2007 13:36:17 GMT
Steffen Heil schrieb:
> Hi
>

>> That's the way You should go:
>> http://www.linux.org.mt/article/tomcat-ports
>>

> I totally disagree.
> First, it would surely be best to update to 6.0 and run it using jsvc....
>
> However, let's look at the solution in the link above.
>
> 1. "The Apache solution". (Which should be called the "httpd" solution.)
> This will work, and might be okay, if you are already running apache on that
> system.
> BUT tomcat itself can be faster (at least newer ones, I don't know about
> 3.x) without httpd.
>
> 2. The IP tables solution
> You webapplication will not know about the different port and encode urls
> incorrecly. Bad Idea and impossible if SSL is required.
>
> 3. The rinetd solution
> Good for development and tests. Adds a little overhead AND destroy a lot of
> logging and security, as tomcat will always see ONE client ip.
>
> 4. IPchains alternative
> see 2.
>
> UPGRADE.
> Otherwise get jsvc to work for you.
>
> Regards,
>   Steffen

Hi Steffen, good point. Neither logging nor the security was ever a
problem for us, so we did not even notice ;-). The applications work
fine for several years in production (a cocoon 2.0 and some struts based
applications) and we did not encounter encoding problems. I'm not
experienced with network protocols but for me it looks like tomcat logs
the address information on ip level, but servlets work with the ip
address of the http request. This information should not be influenced
by rinetd or iptables.

Yes, the jsvc seems the correct approach. We'll change, when 6.0 reaches
production quality.

Thanks and regards
Stefan

--