tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Stefan <stefan.rie...@telig.de>
Subject Re: ampersand (&amp;) handling in jspx - any workaround?
Date Fri, 16 Feb 2007 13:53:00 GMT
Pid schrieb:
> Stefan wrote:
>> Christopher Schultz schrieb:
>>>
>>> Stefan,

>>> Fair enough. When you put "&amp;" into your XSLT, the processor sees it
>>> as "entity:amp". When you write that out, the exact display depends on
>>> the output format. If it's emitting XML (or XHTML), you get "&amp;"
>>> right back out.
>>>
>>> But, if you're outputting HTML (?) or text (definitely), then you get
>>> '&'. If you want to emit "&amp;" in text mode, you'll definitely
>>> have to
>>> double-up the amps.
>>>
>>> The problem is that JSPX is not XSLT. It's really JSP with some extra
>>> junk thrown in. Fortunately for me, I don't have to use it ;)
>>>
>> Yes, I start to understand the ins and outs. Perhaps the spec writers
>> just could not imagine, that someone will use jspx to do what  it is
>> great for, to produce xml ;-) So I'll go for my filter and wait for
>> future jsp specs which will include something like
>> <jsp:output preserve-xml-entities="true" /> or
>> <jsp:output-method="xml" /> Similar directives for omitting XML
>> declarations etc. are already included.
>
> i'll weigh in late with this thread...
>
> how then do i differentiate an ampersand that i need to process in the
> source document?
>

> in general there are 2 use cases for ampersands in xml generating xml
> docs:
>
> 1. xml source doc needs to process/contain an ampersand
> 2. xml generated doc needs to process/contain an ampersand
>
> the solution that the spec implements is double encoding in the source
> document - and it makes complete sense if you consider the two cases
> above; even if it doesn't make immediate, intuitive sense to an end
> user who is moving from the JSP to JSP Document format and who is only
> considering the 2nd case.
>
> the JSP document format has some strengths but also some practical
> weaknesses which is probably why it's adoption hasn't been as
> widespread...

Hi again, haven't been on my desk yesterday.

I don't get it. It doesn't seem that complicated. We have a similar
situation with xslt. A xml source document (the jspx document), a
xslt processor (the jsp servlet) and a result (the response). The result
can be xml, html or text (binary data). Depending of the output method,
the xslt processor preserves the "&amp;"s (xml output) or not (text
output). Why not just include a directive <jsp:output-method="xml" />
and handle the amps accordingly?

Perhaps I did not get the point, but for me, it's just missing this
directive.

Regards

--
Stefan