tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Rutger Heijmerikx <d...@checksum.org>
Subject Re: Pragma, no-cache headers for SSL connections
Date Fri, 16 Feb 2007 08:20:25 GMT
Rutger Heijmerikx schreef:
> Hi list members,
>
> I'm running a web application under Tomcat 5.5.17 using SSL. (No
> mod_jk) The issue i experience is that i want to remove the header
> elements:
>
> Pragma    No-cache
> Cache-Control    no-cache
>
> I've seen a post mentioning a configuration change at server.xml but
> it didn't solve my issue.
>
> Can someone help me to achieve removing the cache related headers?
> This will probably speed up my portal quite a bit for IE browsers.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.

Ok, this took a while for me to figure out, but finally i managed to
solve this.

The thing is that i've configured the web application web.xml file to
add a secuirty constraint in order to reroute all http requests to https
requests. Now, i figured out, Tomcat adds the following headers to the
http request:

<code>
Pragma    No-cache
Cache-Control    no-cache
</code>

Now, Microsoft's IE doesn't cache pages of witch those mentioned headers
are sent. This was making my application responding quite slow.

Well, to remove those http request headers above i did the following:

Added the following to the context.xml file that resides in the
$tomcat_home/conf directory.

<code>
<Valve className="org.apache.catalina.authenticator.FormAuthenticator"
disableProxyCaching="false" />
</code>