tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Pid...@pidster.com>
Subject Re: ampersand (&) handling in jspx - any workaround?
Date Thu, 15 Feb 2007 00:02:13 GMT
Stefan wrote:
> Christopher Schultz schrieb:
>>
>> Stefan,
>>
>> Stefan wrote:

>>>   Not in my xslt ;-) It depends of the output method. If you output xml,
>>> & still gets & It is meanless to create a not well formed xml.
>>> don't remember what the output method text or html makes.
>>>

>> Fair enough. When you put "&" into your XSLT, the processor sees it
>> as "entity:amp". When you write that out, the exact display depends on
>> the output format. If it's emitting XML (or XHTML), you get "&"
>> right back out.
>>
>> But, if you're outputting HTML (?) or text (definitely), then you get
>> '&'. If you want to emit "&" in text mode, you'll definitely have to
>> double-up the amps.
>>
>> The problem is that JSPX is not XSLT. It's really JSP with some extra
>> junk thrown in. Fortunately for me, I don't have to use it ;)
>>
> Yes, I start to understand the ins and outs. Perhaps the spec writers
> just could not imagine, that someone will use jspx to do what  it is
> great for, to produce xml ;-) So I'll go for my filter and wait for
> future jsp specs which will include something like
> <jsp:output preserve-xml-entities="true" /> or <jsp:output-method="xml"
> /> Similar directives for omitting XML declarations etc. are already
> included.

i'll weigh in late with this thread...

how then do i differentiate an ampersand that i need to process in the
source document?

in general there are 2 use cases for ampersands in xml generating xml docs:

1. xml source doc needs to process/contain an ampersand
2. xml generated doc needs to process/contain an ampersand

the solution that the spec implements is double encoding in the source
document - and it makes complete sense if you consider the two cases
above; even if it doesn't make immediate, intuitive sense to an end user
who is moving from the JSP to JSP Document format and who is only
considering the 2nd case.

the JSP document format has some strengths but also some practical
weaknesses which is probably why it's adoption hasn't been as widespread...