tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Scott Danforth <sdanfo...@epathlearning.com>
Subject 2nd Try for Advice on Tomcat Shutdown
Date Tue, 13 Feb 2007 20:54:30 GMT
Hmmm. I just joined this mailing list today, and I'm happy to see that
there's lots of action.

But, so far, nobody has responded to my posting. Maybe I'm asking about
something so trivial that
everybody thinks somebody else will respond...

Anyway, having said that, I'll try again. Hopefully, somebody will
respond with a comment.

I want to convert an application that currently uses JServ (with load
balancing) to Tomcat. In reading about Tomcat
everything looks good, but there's one aspect of our current approach
that I don't see any support for: putting a worker
into "shutdown" mode without completely stopping it, and then waiting
for all of its current sessions to be concluded.

Load balancing on JServ was based on a memory-mapped file that
stored the current state of  different JServ instances, and you could
write to this file to change that state. One of the
useful states was called "shutdown." In this state, mod_jserv would
continue to route page requests for existing  sessions
to their corresponding Jserv instance, but no new requests would be
routed there.

So you could put a Jserv worker into shutdown mode, and then wait for it
to become quiescent, after which you could
kill the worker and perform maintenance on that system. This was
sometimes called a "soft shutdown."  We run a 24/7
application and use this approach to rotate through servers while
releasing new code.

I found archived mail (from 2002) with a query along these lines that
suggested a way of accomplishing this for Tomcat, but don't
know what the ultimate outcome of that suggestion was (if anything).

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/tomcat-dev/200205.mbox/%3CDD392039E892594289474E1F7234FF1905766E3A@hermes.sds.no%3E

I kind of expect there must be something in Tomcat like JServ's soft
shutdown for people that want to run 24/7 while bringing
workers up and down. Can somebody tell me what the Tomcat solution is?

    Thanks in advance for any comments
    -- Scott.