tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Chris Egolf <ceg...@ugholf.net>
Subject [Fwd: mod_jk load balancing problem]
Date Tue, 13 Feb 2007 15:57:14 GMT
I'm resubmitting this since we didn't get any response from the original
posting.  In the meantime, we've tried duplicating the problem in a
non-production environment, but have been unsuccessful in reproducing the problem.

The problem, again, is that users with established sessions on one of the Tomcat
instances are being redirected to another Tomcat instance because the mod_jk
module believes the original Tomcat instance is in an error state:

(from the mod_jk.log on the Apache side):
[Wed Jan 31 13:58:34 2007] [10614:16384] [error]
ajp_service::jk_ajp_common.c (1879): (mahiWorker) Connecting to tomcat
failed. Tomcat is probably not started or is listening on the wrong port

On the Tomcat side, we see the SocketTimeout Exception.  However, other jk
connections to the Tomcat instance seem to be OK, and other Apache/mod_jk
frontends don't detect the error state and continue to send existing and new
requests to the Tomcat instance without any problems.

In researching this, I've seen some indication that the errors we are seeing may
be 'noise' and not necessarily indicative of a problem.  If that's the case, is
there any other logging or errors we should be looking for?

As stated previously, there is a PIX firewall between the Apache/mod_jk
frontends and the Tomcat instances.  I know in the past there have been issues
w/ firewalls, but we are using the socket_keepalive option.

Any help or guidance will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris