tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Boris Unckel <boris.unckel....@gmx.net>
Subject Re: Still have log4j and CLASSPATH problems on linux
Date Tue, 06 Feb 2007 17:57:03 GMT
Hi Oren,

Oren Livne wrote:
>  Dear Gaurav and everyone,
>
> Thanks so much for your help. The explanations were good and helped me
> better understand how the tomcat classloader works. However, I still
> have a problem running my web application. In short, the exception is
> "java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/log4j/Category"; see
> below. I tried removing files, moving jar files, and sometimes got
> "Logger" not found, or "inconsistent hierarchy --you have more than
> one logger". By the way, it all works perfectly on my windows desktop
> with MyEclipse 5.1 and the same classpath, or at least I think it's
> the same.
>
> I know it's because commons-logging.jar, commons-logging-api.jar and
> log4-1.2.11.jar ahve some API conflicts. I didn't understand the
> explanations on why, and didn't find anywhere the steps to follow to
> get it to work (which is all I care about!). Can someone please help
> outline the steps I need to do to get my app to work?
>
> Thanks so much in advance.
> Oren

do not use commons-logging 1.0.x but 1.1.x instead. It has a very nice
diagnostic function and the error would have been reported much better.
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/logging/
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/downloads/downloads_commons-logging.cgi
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/logging/troubleshooting.html

Regards