tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Steve Vanspall <svans...@bigpond.net.au>
Subject Tomcat launch problem
Date Sat, 03 Feb 2007 00:39:38 GMT
Hi,

I know this probably doesn't belong here, but a lack of other forums is
causing an issue.

I have tomcat 5.5.20 set up and it runs without a hitch in standalone mode.

I use the sydeo tomcat plugin for eclipse, and it doesn't run claiming a
'The markup declarations contained or pointed to by the document type
declaration must be well-formed.' with every web.xml file it tries to
load (even the ones for apps that come out of the box with tomcat ie.
ones I did not modify)

Like i said starting tomcat on windows normally works fine.

The reason i am posting here is hopefully people can enlighten me on the
process tomcat goes through on startup.

I am running Win2k (yes there are still some of us doing this ;))
Java 1.5.0 update 11
Eclipse is started up using the same JDK and the plugin is configured to
start tomcat using the same JDK

I know that the plugin launches tomcat by starting up the main method in
'org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap' with tools.jar in the classpath.

Can't anyone tell me what the difference could between launching tomcat
in this way and lauching tomcat using the service monitor in windows, or
even the catalina.bat file.

Part of me think there's something each web.xml refers to that is
causing the problem, but not sure where.

this is one of the stack traces

---------------
SEVERE: Parse Fatal Error at line 1 column 3: The markup declarations
contained or pointed to by the document type declaration must be
well-formed.
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: The markup declarations contained or
pointed to by the document type declaration must be well-formed.
    at
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.util.ErrorHandlerWrapper.createSAXParseException(ErrorHandlerWrapper.java:236)
    at
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.util.ErrorHandlerWrapper.fatalError(ErrorHandlerWrapper.java:215)
    at
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLErrorReporter.reportError(XMLErrorReporter.java:386)
    at
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLErrorReporter.reportError(XMLErrorReporter.java:316)
    at
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLScanner.reportFatalError(XMLScanner.java:1438)
    at
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDTDScannerImpl.scanDecls(XMLDTDScannerImpl.java:1982)
    at
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDTDScannerImpl.scanDTDExternalSubset(XMLDTDScannerImpl.java:319)
    at
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentScannerImpl$DTDDispatcher.dispatch(XMLDocumentScannerImpl.java:1030)
    at
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.java:368)
    at
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(XML11Configuration.java:834)
    at
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(XML11Configuration.java:764)
    at
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XMLParser.parse(XMLParser.java:148)
    at
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(AbstractSAXParser.java:1242)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester.parse(Digester.java:1561)
    at
org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.applicationWebConfig(ContextConfig.java:351)
    at
org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.start(ContextConfig.java:1041)
    at
org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.lifecycleEvent(ContextConfig.java:260)
    at
org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSupport.java:119)
    at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:4143)
    at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:759)
    at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:739)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:524)
    at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDescriptor(HostConfig.java:608)
    at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDescriptors(HostConfig.java:535)
    at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployApps(HostConfig.java:470)
    at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.start(HostConfig.java:1122)
    at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.lifecycleEvent(HostConfig.java:310)
    at
org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSupport.java:119)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1021)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(StandardHost.java:718)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1013)
    at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:442)
    at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:450)
    at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:709)
    at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:551)
    at
    at
    at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:294)
    at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:432)

like i said it does this for every web.xml file that in needs to read.

Thanks in advance

Steve