tomcat-users mailing list archives

From <ScottAnd...@BC.com>
Subject RE: Monitoring of Tomcat process
Date Tue, 20 Feb 2007 15:43:44 GMT
If you just want to check that the process is running on the machine, here's a sample bash
script that I worked up:

#!/bin/bash
# This script makes sure certain processes are running and emails support if they aren't

# What process to check for
PROCESS=tomcat

# The command to run
COMMAND=$(ps -ef| grep $PROCESS| grep -v grep| wc -l)

OUTPUT=$COMMAND

# Set the most number of messages we want sent before we stop sending them
ATMOST=3
EMAILFILE=/path/to/wherever/scripts/emailsSent.txt

# Lets check to see if that file exists and if not, create it
if [ ! -f $EMAILFILE ]
then
   # The file does not exist, we better create it
   echo 0 > $EMAILFILE
fi

if [ $OUTPUT == 0 ]
then
   # Lets see if we already sent messages
   NUMBER=$(cat $EMAILFILE)
   if [ "$NUMBER" != 3 ]
   then
      # Go ahead and send the email
      # The message that will go in the email
      MESSAGE="The $PROCESS process doesn't seem to be running on $HOSTNAME on $(date +"%x
%r %Z") number is $NUMBER"
      echo $MESSAGE | mail -s "$PROCESS process not running on $HOSTNAME" youremail@company.com
      # Now increment the number in the EMAILFILE file
      NEWNUMBER=$(expr $NUMBER + 1)
      echo $NEWNUMBER > $EMAILFILE
   fi
else
  # So the process is running, let's make sure the email messages increment number is 0
  if [ "$NUMBER" != 0 ]
  then
     echo 0 > $EMAILFILE
  fi