tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Kristian Rink <krist...@zimmer428.net>
Subject Re: clustering and jvmRoute
Date Fri, 23 Feb 2007 09:01:38 GMT

Rainer;

at first, thanks for your hints and getting my view on the world set
straight again. ;)

[Rainer Jung <rainer.jung@kippdata.de> @ Fri, 23 Feb 2007 09:32:59
+0100]

> But: with stickyness (different jvmRoutes and a session sticky load
> balancer) you only rely on the correctness of the replication when a
> node actually fails. Since replication takes a little time and is
> very difficult to implement, that's the better strategy.

This seems reasonable. However, in terms of load balancing, I wonder
whether there are any benchmark / comparisons on that:

- Using stickiness, I ensure each request of a session to run on the
host the session initially was started upon. This way, the "session" is
the most fine-grained way I can provide load balancing, but I possibly
don't have to spend that much (development, runtime) resources in order
to ensure session replication is always correct.

- Not using stickiness, and judging from my environment, I see that I
can do load balancing on a per-request base, which seems to be a way
more fine-grained approach especially in certain "imaginary worst-case"
situations (given that the duration of sessions can drastically vary).
But, however, this way indeed I do have to take at least runtime
resources for session replication into consideration.

Is there a meaningful approach to comparing these setups in terms of
worst-case / average-case performance, or is it simply plain
"trial-and-error" (and possibly some lambda-probe watching)?

Thanks and bye,
Kristian

--
Kristian Rink * http://zimmer428.net * http://flickr.com/photos/z428/