tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "David Uctaa" <duc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to forcibly close abandoned database connections?
Date Wed, 10 Jan 2007 13:32:41 GMT
Perhaps I was unclear what it is I'm trying to do.  I have a
connection pool set up under Tomcat 5.5, connecting to DB2 on an
iSeries box using Tomcat's DBCP.  It is set up for 30 connections.  I
am using Lambda Probe (a great open source Tomcat monitoring app) to
monitor the datasources.  It is showing, let's say, that there are a
max of 30 connections allowed, that 11 have been "established", and 9
are "busy".  I know that these 9 are due to a connection pool leak bug
that was corrected (but not yet deployed), so even though the
application has gone idle and no one is using it, the connections
remain "busy" indefinitely.  I have enabled removeAbandoned in my
server.xml, but according to the Tomcat docs, abandoned connections
are only recycled if there is a need for them, due to the number of
available datasources getting low.  The number of available
datasources are not yet low, so these orphaned connections are still
being reported as "busy".  I'm a little bit anal with regard to
keeping things kinda clean on the server, so I would like to have
these abandoned connections no longer reported as "busy" once they are
orphaned.  Is there a way to find and recycle abandoned connections
forcibly?

Thanks,
David