tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Gregor Schneider" <rc4...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Securing Tomcat Article for Review
Date Wed, 10 Jan 2007 13:14:42 GMT
Hi Leon,

> I think we both now can agree that there are millions of absolutely
> valid reasons
> to run a httpd-tomcat combination, but that security isn't among them :-)
> Ok?

Absolutely!

> hmm, haven't you said you have 300.000 files? I don't know how large
> your files actually are, but assuming 100K a fairly large size you 'll
> need ~30 Gb of RAM to cache them all. Now a machine with 32 Gb of RAM
> is pretty cheap nowerdays, so why not cache them?

Nope, I said 30.000. However, most of those pages do contain images,
and our servers have merely 4 GB of RAM each. Besides, I wouldn't
consider a machine that can handle 32 GB of RAM as cheap, but that
depends on everyone's personal  (or the company's) wallet *cough*

Cheers

Greg
gpgp-fp: 79A84FA526807026795E4209D3B3FE028B3170B2