tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Gilbert, Antoine" <>
Subject RE: Undeploying problem with Tomcat 5.5 and Log4J
Date Wed, 03 Jan 2007 16:29:03 GMT
I'm not sure I understand. Calling shutdown within a finalize() of my
objects ? Does this will cause problem to the other Web apps running
within the tomcat instance ?

-----Original Message-----
From: Mikolaj Rydzewski []
Sent: January 3, 2007 10:52 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Undeploying problem with Tomcat 5.5 and Log4J

Gilbert, Antoine wrote:
> I deploy an application WAR on a Tomcat 5.5 instance. This application
> use Log4j (via commons-logging) and create some logs in a file within
> the related Web app directory (/webapps/myWebApp). The file is defined
> by a file appender tag in my log4j.xml file.
It's a good practice to avoid writing files inside application's
directory. It's also a good practice to have separate directory for
logfiles, i.e. ${CATALINA_HOME}/logs.
> The problem is when I undeploy this Web app, my Web app directory
> be deleted because of the log file; it seems to be locked by Tomcat.
Try to call shutdown()
in contextDestroyed event in servlet context listener.

Mikolaj Rydzewski <>

To start a new topic, e-mail:
To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: