tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Martin Gainty" <mgai...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Embedding Tomcat in a standalone JAR
Date Wed, 03 Jan 2007 13:54:22 GMT
Hi Joe-

http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2006/06/14/what-is-jetty.html?page=1
The tradeoff seems to be with tomcat you can teach your grandmother to load and deploy a webapp
war
But if your grandmother likes to program she can programmatically instantiate container(s),
getContext(s) and control(start/stop) the Server service
There are times when a tomcat feature is so lightly documented that the Tomcat feature would
take less time (and be easier to implement) in code

I am quite interested in hearing what your discoveries prove out
Thanks
Martin --
prohibited.
Le présent message électronique (y compris les pièces qui y sont annexées, le cas échéant)
s'adresse au destinataire indiqué et peut contenir des renseignements de caractère privé
ou confidentiel. Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire de ce document, nous vous signalons qu'il
----- Original Message -----
From: "Vacuum Joe" <vacuumjoe@yahoo.com>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 8:43 PM
Subject: Re: Embedding Tomcat in a standalone JAR

"what/which tasks do you want this embedded tomcat to accomplish?"

Very simple tasks!  I have a few Servlets and a few simple JSPs and a little bit of static
content (html files and images) that I need it to run.  No other external things, like no
DB or anything else.  No need for any other fancy features.  Really it's just to host some
example JSPs on a local server.  Right now I'm looking into Jetty, which looks like it can
run a war file from the command line.  I might be able to modify that to use the same jar
for the server classes AND the web app files.  But I've never used Jetty for anything, and
I would prefer to stay with familiar territory, namely Tomcat.

Any ideas would be appreciated.