tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Michael Ni" <mikeni...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: web application - student need help Thank You's
Date Tue, 09 Jan 2007 03:46:35 GMT
I just want to thank everyone who provided input to my question.  I am going
to try to set up the connection pool.

By the way. I have another question about authentication to websites.

For authentication, currently I bascially have a "Person" table, where one
field is your permission.

example  table person
                   username = bob,
                   password = wawawawa
                   permission level = admin

So during login, after a person enters his username and password,  it will
check to see if the username exists in the person table.

If it does exist, it will verify the password and return his permission.
That permission is stored in the session, and each jsp page it will check to
see if his permission is correct.  If a person's permission is wrong, it
will redirect you to another page.

Although this method works, I dont know if it is very professional.  Does
anyone have any ideas how to set up a professional style authentication
system?  Something a business would use where exposing customer information
is a liability.

mike