tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Rashmi Rubdi <dev_subscripti...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Change the encoding format of xml outpu
Date Sun, 21 Jan 2007 02:05:21 GMT
>From what I've experience (don't know if I can retrace it), the BOM characters were probably
inserted before the XML prolog, when the XML file was opened in Notepad and then
saved, it is probably due to difference in the encoding used between editors.

Some literature on BOM:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/intl/unicode_42jv.asp

http://www.stanford.edu/~laurik/fsmbook/errata/BOM.html

When the XML file was opened with Internet Explorer, it didn't complain and rendered the XML
tree as usual.

Xalan was strict about anything before the XML prolog, even the invisible BOM.

With certain JSTL tags like <c:import url="/somefolder/somefile.xml" var="xmlDoc"/>
 , if the xml file specified in c:import could not be located, then also it throws a "Content
Not Allowed in Prolog" instead of a "File Not Found" error.

-Rashmi

----- Original Message ----
From: JV <jv832@orange.nl>
To: Tomcat Users List <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Saturday, January 20, 2007 4:45:19 PM
Subject: Re: Change the encoding format of xml outpu

Okay, to be clear, what i do is the following:

<%@ page contentType="application/xml" %><?xml version="1.0"
encoding="utf-8"?>

This is the first line in my JSP page that creates XML. It's the
first line, first character, no spaces inbetween the two
declarations. This works for me.

Up til now I've created XML using JSTL, and then I had more problems
with characters like 0A and 09, which messed up the XML. This was
especially the case with SQL Server. So I removed those characters
from the resultstring. I haven't had a problem with BOM-characters
(didn't even know they existed)!

<c:set var="result" value="${fn:replace(searchString,char0A, '')}"/>
<c:set var="result" value="${fn:replace(searchString,char0D, '')}"/>
<c:set var="result" value="${fn:replace(searchString,char09, '')}"/>

JV

Op 20 jan 2007, om 22:18 heeft Martin Gainty het volgende geschreven: