tomcat-users mailing list archives

From kikibobo <ebow...@boboco.ie>
Subject /, welcome files, and 404
Date Sun, 07 Jan 2007 13:19:53 GMT

Hi,

I've got a spring 2 webmvc based webapp deployed on Tomcat 5.5.20 that is
exhibiting some curious behaviour.  Call my application "myapp", deployed as
an exploded directory.

What I am seeing is that when I hit http://myhost/myapp/, I get a 404, but
if I hit http://myhost/myapp/index.html, it works.

It seems like hitting /myapp/ should trigger the welcome file, which
includes index.html.  Explicitly adding index.html to the welcome file list
in web.xml doesn't fix things.

Stepping through DefaultServlet.java in a debugger, what seems to be
happening is Tomcat thinks I want to do a directory listing, but I have
directory listings disabled, so it returns a 404 instead.  I can't figure
out where the welcome file logic gets triggered, so I'm a bit stuck.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Eric