tomcat-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From markx3 <>
Subject Re: Tomcat cache problem?
Date Thu, 04 Jan 2007 21:39:29 GMT


We tried reloading the website in the managers section and we were still
able to duplicate the issue without restarting Tomcat.  So do we think this
is an issue with the webpage itself?

david.delbecq wrote:
> To make it short, tomcat does no caching of servlet / jsp output. Your
> webapp is at fault
> All tomcat does is handle the 'if-modified-since' header when serving
> static data (what is not served by a servlet or a jsp, mainly pictures,
> static html, css). The fact it goes back well when you restart tomcat
> points out it's a problem with you specific web application. As you have
> no knowledge of what is inside this web application, i suggest you check
> with the vendor and or developpers of that specific web application.
> If you want confirmation, just restart your webapplication without
> restarting tomcat (use the manager or lambda probe for that)
> reference:
> tomcat manager
> lambda probe
> markx3 a écrit :
>> Hello, 
>> I have a server running Windows 2003 server SP1.  8 GB of RAM.  Sun Java
>> J2SE 5.0 update 7 and Tomcat 5.5.20. 
>> Tomcat is used as our web server to review archived email.  The email is
>> stored in folders on the server and the archival system uses MS SQL 2000
>> SP4
>> on the backend. 
>> The problem is when we use Tomcat as our web server to review the email,
>> and
>> we click on several emails, after awhile regardless of the different
>> email
>> we click on, we get the same data displayed in our web browser.  This
>> really
>> appears to be a caching issue with Tomcat, because every time we restart
>> the
>> tomcat service, the problem goes away for a few days and then it happens
>> again.   
>> To try to fix the issue we gave Tomcat more memory in the Tomcat
>> Properties
>> / Java tab.  We set initial memory pool to 128 MB of RAM and maximum
>> memory
>> pool to 512 MB of RAM.  We also tried setting the IE 6.0 and 7.0 browsers
>> to
>> check for newer versions of the page every time I visit the webpage. 
>> Both
>> of these attempts didn’t resolve the issue. 
>> Since I’m not a web developer I don’t know what to tell you about the
>> website tomcat is hosting.  Except for that it was a .war file that
>> tomcat
>> extracts once we place in into the tomcat5.5\webapps directory.  If you
>> need
>> specifics on what this website is, please let me know and I can get that
>> info for you.  But looking through it there are all the usual files like
>> .jsp, .htm, etc. 
>> Also there isn’t a proxy server on the network.  When users connect to
>> the
>> website tomcat is hosting, the browser on the local machine is making a
>> direct connection since it’s on the same subnet. 
>> Please let me know what suggestions we can use to try to resolve this
>> issue. 
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To start a new topic, e-mail:
> To unsubscribe, e-mail:
> For additional commands, e-mail:

View this message in context:
Sent from the Tomcat - User mailing list archive at

To start a new topic, e-mail:
To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message