tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Hassan Schroeder" <>
Subject Re: Moving Tomcat
Date Wed, 03 Jan 2007 17:12:35 GMT
On 1/3/07, Steve Ingraham <> wrote:

> There is a link in /usr/local for "tomcat" that directs to
> /usr/local/src/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.9.  Is it important to have the
> "tomcat" link set up this same way on the new server?  Is there a
> specific reason why it would have been set up this way?

Every admin has her/his own installation style :-)  If that seems to
be the site standard -- i.e., other things in /usr/local are symlinks
to installation packages under /usr/local/src -- stick with it. But it's
a policy point, not a technical requirement.

> Ok, well that resides in /usr/java/jdk-1.5.0.  Where can I download a
> new version?  Is the download straightforward for a novice like me?

Easy enough, I'd think: <>  but not necessary.

For your own edification, I'd suggest trying to install Java and Tomcat
from scratch on the new machine, get it running, e.g. the example apps
work, and then copy over the current production apps.

Hassan Schroeder ------------------------

To start a new topic, e-mail:
To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: