tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <>
Subject Re: 503 Error Servlet is currently unavailable
Date Fri, 26 Jan 2007 19:34:12 GMT

Kristen, wrote:
> I am developing a GWT application for Tomcat 4.0.5. I'm getting a 503 error:

Ouch! If you really are "developing" -- i.e. starting from scratch --
then you should really use a more up-to-date Tomcat. Even /I'm/ not
using a Tomcat that old, and I think I'm the user of the oldest TC
install on the list (4.1.31).

> The requested service (Servlet com.sms.web.server.CompanyListImpl
> is currently unavailable) is not currently available.

Your webapp probably did not start.

> The only
> information I have been able to find so far is that there should be more
> information in one of the logs, but I can't find any additional information in
> any of the logs I've found.

Yup, more info should have appeared in one or more log files. Are you on
MS Windows or UNIX? Take a look in your TOMCAT_HOME/logs directory and
basically look at everything. If an app fails to start up, you usually
get a message in appname_log_[date].txt, localhost_log_[date].txt, or
catalina.out, which should be found in that directory.

If you don't see those files, or if you don't see anything in them, it's
possible that logging has been disabled somehow. Try adding 'debug="99"'
to your <Engine>, <Host>, and <Context> elements in your server.xml file.

Then, start TC again and see what it dumps out.

- -chris
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (MingW32)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -

To start a new topic, e-mail: