tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Andreas Deller <andreas.del...@ergon.ch>
Subject Re: HTTP response code "200 -" in access log
Date Wed, 17 Jan 2007 10:33:37 GMT
> Andreas Deller wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> A typical entry looks like this:
>> 192.168.11.11 - - [05/Jan/2007:11:23:59 +0100] "GET
>> /ebanking/css/custom.css HTTP/1.1" 200 -
>> "https://some.bank.ch/ebanking/login" "Mozilla/4.0
>> (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)"
>>
>> This results in the client getting back a 200, but no contents
>> for that specific request.
>> With 'static files' I mean that this only happens when the client
>> requests a static file like JPG or CSS. If it calls a servlet,
>> that response is always returned correctly; just the embedded
>> static files sporadically show this '200 -' problem.
>
> The 200 status code simply means that the server thinks the file is
> correctly delivered.  (All HTTP requests, regardless of success or
> failure have a numeric status code associated with the result. You
> should not have any custom error pages configured for this code.)
I agree with the meaning of 200, but normally, the bytes delivered are
written after the 200 (e.g. '[...] GET /css/default.css  200 27221 [...]').
According to RFC2616, GET should always receive a message body.
I only have error pages for 400, 404, 500, 503, so this shouldn't
interfere.

> What is your setup? Tomcat alone, or Tomcat + Apache HTTPD?
Tomcat alone; tested with 4.1.30 and 5.0.28 on Debian and Solaris 9.

> Can you request the CSS or image independently of the servlet in which
> it is referenced?
> Have you sanity checked all of the files to make sure they're where you
> expect them to be?
The files are all correct, since they most of the time are delivered
and displayed correctly. They can be requested independently.