tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Rush <da...@rushtone.com>
Subject Re: Problem with auto-deploy
Date Wed, 10 Jan 2007 20:47:59 GMT
I have further evidence that the problem has to do with my new .war file
being copied in when the background processor (auto-deploy) cycle "hits"
and tries to reload.

I've slowed the process to every 30 seconds rather than the apparent
default of every 10 seconds (by setting backgroundProcessorDelay="30" in
the Engine element of server.xml).

If I target the upload of my new .war file (which takes about 25
seconds) to start right after a background processor cycle, and it
finishes before the next cycle, everything works fine.  The new .war
file is deployed and works.

If I target the upload to span a background processor cycle "hit" (that
is, the file is still copying when a cycle hits), the deployment fails.
The old expanded directory is removed, but it is not recreated and the
web application no longer functions.

If I subsequently upload "in between" background processor cycle hits,
the web application will start functioning again (and gets expanded again).

It strikes me as strange that, by default, the process relies on .war
file replacements to land cleanly in between background processor
cycles.  Now in most cases where .war files are being copied more or
less locally and quickly, it usually works, so I guess it's not a huge
problem for most people.

Now to figure out a good way around this....

David