tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mikolaj Rydzewski <m...@ceti.pl>
Subject Re: Securing Tomcat Article for Review
Date Wed, 10 Jan 2007 11:22:47 GMT
Leon Rosenberg wrote:
> Still, since you can guarantee that everything is in memory if you
> customize your webapp, and apache httpd simply relies on the file
> system cache which has it's own behaviour, not designed for your
> webapp, a single filesystem "miss" will cost more time than you'll
> ever win by maybe saving some system calls.
Using sendfile() system call you win by not copying data through FS - IO
cache - user space - JVM streams - network sockets, system 'just' copies
data from FS/IO cache to network socket. Much, much more faster.

You don't want to keep all static content in memory, for JVM to send it? ;-)
> I also assume that a modern server will never reach its cpu limit
> before reaching the bandwith limit by simply writing out data.
The less resource expensive your solution is, the more apps/servers/etc
you can run on single machine. That means less money you have to spend,
or more bussiness you can run.

--
Mikolaj Rydzewski <miki@ceti.pl>