tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Arnaud MERGEY <amer...@sunopsis.com>
Subject Re: something wrong creating datasource after war deployement
Date Mon, 08 Jan 2007 13:25:14 GMT
I need to provide a context.xml in the war because there are default
datasources configured for my app., but it must be possible to add
datasources after app. deployment.
Like you, I think there is a conflict between context.xml in war and in
unpacked directory (because wtihout war all works as expected) but I
don't know if it is tomcat bug or if it is problem in my configuration,
maybe there is context param allowing to force to tomcat to use
context.xml in war or context.xml in directory.

David Delbecq a écrit :
> If you want to edit the context.xml yourself, remove it from the .war
> file. I suppose there is a conflict between the context.xml you deploy
> yourself and the one inside the .war. I think when you deploy an
> unpacked directory the META-INF/context.xml file is ignored. (Not 100% sure)
>
> En l'instant précis du 01/08/07 13:05, Arnaud MERGEY s'exprimait dans
> toute sa noblesse:
>
>> Thanks for reply, my db is Oracle 9i
>> The problem isn't a security or driver problem, I have tested also in
>> the same tomcat, in webapps:
>> - Cpying the unpacked version only, modify context and web.xml, all
>> works perfectly.
>> - Removing in the same tomcat the application, copying the war file
>> and modify context.xml and web.xml in the unpacked directory, I have the
>>
>> org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot
>> create JDBC driver of class '' for connect URL 'null'
>>

>> - Removing the war and copying the unpacked version only, modify
>> context and web.xml, all works perfectly.
>>
>> I have tested tomcat 5.5.20 5.5.17 many times and on several tomcat
>> instance, I have always the same behavior.
>>
>> In my case using war deployment prevent me to update manually
>> context.xml to add datasource. I need to use admin webapp or to copy
>> unpacked directory, not  the war himself.
>>
>> Arnaud
>>
>> David Delbecq a écrit :
>>
>>> Get the full stacktrace of exception to know when this happen. If both
>>> install are same, maybe one is on a server that has no access to the db
>>> (check the db security settings).
>>>
>>> Also, what did you compare with windiff? The webapp directories or the
>>> full tomcat install directores? Your META-INF/context.xml should have
>>> been copied by tomcat to conf/Catalina/<hostname>/<webappname>.xml
Check