tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Frank W. Zammetti" <fzli...@omnytex.com>
Subject Re: Standards Complaint Browser Campaign
Date Sun, 07 Jan 2007 15:38:59 GMT
Christopher Schultz wrote:
> If you stay away from the "innerHTML" attribute (which only works in
> MSIE, so you're probably not using it) and instead use the methods
> Document.createElement and node.add and node.insert, then you'll be fine.

This is false.  innerHTML is supported by most current browsers.  Try
this, just click the button:

<input type="button"
   onClick="document.getElementById('divTest').innerHTML='It works';">

Works in IE, FF and Opera at least, I don't have a Mac to try in Safari
but I'd bet it works just fine.  I can't testify as to what the minimum
version of each browser that supports it is... I don't think it's
exactly new for FF or Opera though, I suspect you'd find the above works
in FF 1.0 though, and Opera back probably a few versions too.

You would be correct to say innerHTML is not a standard (other than de
facto perhaps), but to say it doesn't work in anything but IE is just
not correct.

> Users of browsers like NN 4, MSIE 4, and some others might be left out
> in the cold. My advice on that is to make sure that you are only using
> javascript as added flavor, and to ensure that a non-javascript user can
> still accomplish everything (even if it is a bit less convenient).

That's true about older browsers being left out in the cold, but at some
point I think it's perfectly legitimate to stop supporting older
versions.  I don't think it's an egregiously bad move to not support 4.x
browsers at this point.  I think it's telling that a Google search for
"browser statistics", and then checking out the results on the first
page, most of the statistics lists don't even mention anything older
than 5.x browsers, and those that do show sub-1% usage levels.  So, I
for one am not losing any sleep by not supporting anything older than
5.x browsers :)

> - -chris

Frank

--