tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <>
Subject Re: web application - student need help
Date Fri, 05 Jan 2007 22:47:51 GMT

Michael Ni wrote:
> even with connection pooling, how many connections are we looking at
> here?  if my project works as intended, im predicting from 30 to 1000
> poeple simultaneously hitting tomcat and sql server.

What you really need to know is how many database queries will will need
to support. Just because 1000 people may be logged-in at the same time
doesn't mean that you have to handle 1000 simultaneous requests.

You might be able to get away with as few as 50 connections in your pool
to start out with. You are likely to experience slow growth at the
beginning, so just do your own wall-clock testing on the live site
occasionally to determine if it's "fast enough".

> i remember when websites like came out, it was really
> slow.  now it is much faster, do you guys know where does a student
> learn about how to handle high traffic web applications?  is there any
> classes?

Tuning like this is a black art. You really need to either get someone
who knows what they are doing, or stumble through it yourself.

Want my advice? Put it out there and see how it performs. If it sucks,
make improvements. Make sure you have your database well-optimized. Most
database rely not only on indexes (which are so important I cannot
stress that enough) but also on their own black magic that analyzes the
actual content of the tables for optimization. Often, you can simply
issue an OPTIMIZE TABLE query on the table and make it perform better.

Some database perform better than others. For instance, I think that
MySQL cannot be beat when it comes to read-only queries. They also have
a handful of different table types that makes it easy to optimize for
your expected usage (for instance, if you don't need transactions, you
can use a /much/ faster table implementation and get better performance).

Good luck!

- -chris

Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (MingW32)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -