tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mikolaj Rydzewski <m...@ceti.pl>
Subject Re: Undeploying problem with Tomcat 5.5 and Log4J
Date Wed, 03 Jan 2007 15:52:24 GMT
Gilbert, Antoine wrote:
> I deploy an application WAR on a Tomcat 5.5 instance. This application
> use Log4j (via commons-logging) and create some logs in a file within
> the related Web app directory (/webapps/myWebApp). The file is defined
> by a file appender tag in my log4j.xml file.

It's a good practice to avoid writing files inside application's
directory. It's also a good practice to have separate directory for
logfiles, i.e. ${CATALINA_HOME}/logs.
> The problem is when I undeploy this Web app, my Web app directory can't
> be deleted because of the log file; it seems to be locked by Tomcat.

Try to call shutdown()
http://logging.apache.org/log4j/docs/api/org/apache/log4j/LogManager.html#shutdown()
in contextDestroyed event in servlet context listener.

--
Mikolaj Rydzewski <miki@ceti.pl>