tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Leon Rosenberg" <rosenberg.l...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Securing Tomcat Article for Review
Date Tue, 09 Jan 2007 11:40:21 GMT
Who's the target audience?
Things like:

Change files in CATALINA_HOME/conf to be readonly (400)
Rename CATALINA_HOME/conf/server.xml to
CATALINA_HOME/conf/server-original.xml and rename
CATALINA_HOME/conf/server-minimal.xml to
CATALINA_HOME/conf/server.xml. The minimal configuration provides the
same basic configuration, but without the nested comments is much
easier to maintain and understand. Do not delete the original file as
the comments make it useful for reference if you ever need to make
changes - e.g. enable SSL.

won't work for dummies (due to missing rights) if they'll follow the
guide step by step.

>Make sure tomcat user has read/write access to /tmp and write (300 -
yes, only > write/execute) access to CATALINA_HOME/logs

What is the sense of it? I mean if the tomcat user owns this directory
why remove read access to it?

>If you are on a Windows machine you will be able to change the port
attribute of >the connector within the Catalina service from 8080 to
80. This allows you to use >tomcat directly to serve all requests.
Depending on your requirements it may not >be good enough to serve
directly from Tomcat so you may like to consider;

>    * Use IIS / Apache running on port 80 and mod_jk to proxy requests to Tomcat

Using IIS in front, are you kidding ?:-)) It's like open your arms and
welcome every single intruder on the net :-)

Also by using apache in front of tomcat you rather loose security than gain it.
At least this is my personal opinion :-)

Overall a nice article which I think provides a good quick-start.

regards
Leon