tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Vacuum Joe <vacuum...@yahoo.com>
Subject Embedding Tomcat in a standalone JAR
Date Wed, 03 Jan 2007 00:17:55 GMT
Hello Tomcat users,

Here's what I'm trying to do:

I have a simple web application.  I need to ship it as a JAR file that runs anywhere, without
needing to be unpacked or installed.  I need it so that you run this JAR file, and it pops
up a Swing dialog that asks which port to bind to, and then Tomcat starts listening on that
port and serving docs out of the jar itself.

I know this is possible, because Tomcat is perfectly capable of serving web apps out of WAR
files, and this would essentially be treating the whole JAR as the WAR file.  But I'm stumped
as to how to begin.

I found a couple of guides to embedding Tomcat, such as: http://www.onjava.com/lpt/a/1547
but a) it's out of date, because it covers methods that don't exist after Tomcat 5.0 and b)
it only talks about serving the app out of the filesystem.

Any suggestions on this?

Thanks