tomcat-users mailing list archives

From <j...@ultratechpartners.com>
Subject Re: URL rewriting For Session Tracking
Date Thu, 04 Jan 2007 05:14:20 GMT
Thanks for your reply Chuck.  I've been through the whole documentation and
it hasn't helped.  I'll try to make my question as clear as possible.
Basically I have a webapp and I want to have a session for each user that
connects to my server (just the usual servlet session that is created with
jsessionid).  Do I have to wrap every link that I have in my webapp with an
Httpservletresponse.encodeURL()?

I was expecting that there would be a configuration swich for example in
server.xml file of Tomcat that I would switch it on, and the url rewriting
that would include the jsessionid would be done for me, so that I don't have
to wrap every link in my application with Httpservletresponse.encodeURL().
Basically, I was hoping that I don't have to touch my code and insert
Httpservletresponse.encodeURL() for every link that I have.  But I think
there is no such a thing, or is seen as not a good practice.

I hope this makes my question clear.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldarale@unisys.com>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 03, 2007 8:43 PM
Subject: RE: URL rewriting For Session Tracking

> From: jobs@ultratechpartners.com [mailto:jobs@ultratechpartners.com]
> Subject: URL rewriting For Session Tracking
>
> All I want to do is 'URL rewriting For Session Tracking'.

I have to admit that I don't really understand your question.  What do
you need to do with sessions that Tomcat doesn't already do
automatically via cookies or jsessionid?  Check the doc for the cookies
attribute of the <Context> element:

You also might want to take a look at Section 7 of the servlet spec:
http://jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/final/jsr154/index.html

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.