tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Martin Gainty" <mgai...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: appBase & docBase in <Host> element in server.xml
Date Thu, 14 Dec 2006 15:30:09 GMT
Good Morning Wang

the answer depends on the value of your autodeploy
ths is straight from the doc http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/config/host.html

appBase
"The Application Base directory for this virtual host. This is the pathname of a directory
that may contain web applications to be deployed on this virtual host. You may specify an
absolute pathname for this directory, or a pathname that is relative to the $CATALINA_BASE
directory. See Automatic Application Deployment for more information on automatic recognition
and deployment of web applications to be deployed automatically."

In Auto-deploy scenarios (either at startup or when changes are made to configurations)
docBase
"Any XML file in the $CATALINA_HOME/conf/[engine_name]/[host_name] directory is assumed to
contain a Context element (and its associated subelements) for a single web application. The
docBase attribute of this <Context> element will typically be the absolute pathname
to a web application directory, or the absolute pathname of a web application archive (WAR)
file (which will not be expanded). "

caveat:
"When using automatic deployment, the docBase defined by an XML Context file should be outside
of the appBase directory. If this is not the case difficulties may be experienced deploying
the web application or the application may be deployed twice."

(so under Autodeploy=true scenario docBase != appBase)

Anyone else?
M-
prohibited.
Le présent message électronique (y compris les pièces qui y sont annexées, le cas échéant)
s'adresse au destinataire indiqué et peut contenir des renseignements de caractère privé
ou confidentiel. Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire de ce document, nous vous signalons qu'il