tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Andre Prasetya" <andre.prase...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to Run Servlet
Date Wed, 20 Dec 2006 10:17:46 GMT
no wonder, add the classpath to servlet, you need to ad the servlet-api.jar

e.g : javac -cp d:/path/to/servlet-api.jar HelloServlet.java

Athula, I suggest u startoff with an IDE, I recommend Netbeans for a
beginner to servlet.

download the Netbeans5.5

then new project, choose web project, choose the bundled tomcat as the
server

then new servlet, choose any name, or HelloWorld. Then you'll get a starter
servlet and a mapping

after that you can start running... and you can test using a browser. If the
bundled tomcat port is 1980 then you tried hitting
http://localhost:1980/<context path>/<mapped servlet-name>

for example if my context path is /Dummy and the mapped-servlet-name is
HelloWorld then I hit
http://localhost:1980/Dummy/HelloWorld

try it....

I always regard a servlet as a cgi java, if you want to do a complex
programming, i recommend you start with java 1st then the servlet and jsp,
you might wanna take a look at Spring Framework, Struts, WebWork or GWT