tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Frank McLean <fmcl...@sentrylink.com>
Subject TC 5.5.15 - Internet Explorer firing multiple form submits?
Date Thu, 14 Dec 2006 16:52:47 GMT
Hi,

We use TC 5.5.15 behind an Apache2 front end and the AJP connecter.

I have a form, using the SSLEXT tag library-

<ssl:form action="/myaction.do">

- which posts to Struts and thence to my app.

I have a couple of submit buttons similar to the following:

onclick='mode.value=2;document.forms[0].submit()'/>

Everything is well in FireFox, but not in Internet Explorer 6 (have not
tested previous IE's).  In IE6, I am frequently and reproducibly getting
multiple (max 3, it looks like) identical requests logged in both the
Apache SSL log and the TC data_access.log whenever the submit button is
pressed.  It's a database maintenance page, so I am simply hitting
update once every few seconds, without changing any of the displayed values.

I have tried to look at the traffic from my PC in Ethereal, but it's
encrypted, of course, so I'm not sure I'm reading things right.  I could
take out the SSLEXT tag, but that would be changing the submission
process too much, for my liking.

So...  My question is, has anyone ever worked this one out?  I see posts
back from 2003, but they peter out pretty much after someone suggests
blocking the possibility of double-clicking the button (not the problem).

I can build in lots of annoying checks, and may have to, but I am
insanely keen to know why I have to do that before proceeding.

Thanks in advance, fingers crossed.

Frank