tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Smith <d...@cornell.edu>
Subject Re: Webapps inexplicably losing access to common/shared classloaders
Date Sat, 02 Dec 2006 16:28:46 GMT

Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: David Smith [mailto:dns4@cornell.edu]
>> Subject: Re: Webapps inexplicably losing access to
>> common/shared classloaders
>>
>> Hmmmm..... only fixed by a system restart?  This sounds like an
>> environment variable is changed during start or stop and the
>> new value is bad.  Your start and stop scripts aren't attempting
>> to set classpath or something evil like that are they?
>>

> Can't be that specifically, since the CLASSPATH environment variable
> isn't used by the JVM proper, just the launcher in the absence of the
> -cp parameter.  Probably not any other environment variables, since
> (AFAIK) Tomcat's classloaders don't look at any.  However, it might be
> interesting to compare the system properties visible to Tomcat after a
> reboot with those after a Tomcat restart.  The LambdaProbe add-on can
> display them, for example.  Turning on -verbose:class might also provide
> some hints, but it will produce a lot of output.
>
>  - Chuck

I'd agree in 99.999% of all cases, but there is always that 0.001% case
to really throw a monkey wrench in the works.  And I think we are
looking at it.  It might be worthwhile for testing to simply add some
echo statements to the start and stop scripts to see what the
environment looks at those moments.

--David