tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Leon Rosenberg" <rosenberg.l...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Is jsp designed for use by large websites
Date Wed, 06 Dec 2006 21:27:56 GMT
On 12/6/06, Peter Crowther <Peter.Crowther@melandra.com> wrote:
> > From: Martin Gainty [mailto:mgainty@hotmail.com]
> > As Tomcat is OpenSource (and not proprietary) and can be
> > installed on any OS (vs just 1) I dont undertand
> > What is causing the number of Tomcat users to attenuate over time?
>
> Ancient history, I know, but I'll respond anyway.
>
> A Model T Ford is a perfectly good car.  However, if Ford don't innovate
> and other car manufacturers do, people buying new cars will switch away
> from Ford to vehicles that are cheaper, faster, have lower fuel costs or
> innovations like a roof.
>
> Tomcat and JSP is a perfectly good model for web applications.  However,
> if the Java community and the Tomcat developers don't innovate and other
> communities do (for example the PHP community and Microsoft), people
> deploying new applications will switch away from Tomcat and JSP to
> systems that are cheaper, faster to develop, have lower hosting/running
> costs or innovations like per-webapp memory and CPU throttling.
>
> The issue is not that Tomcat is bad in absolute terms, it's simply that
> other communities are out-innovating it so it's becoming a (perceived)
> poorer *relative* choice.

I'd too like to know which communities are "out-innovating" java?
To stay in you example, comparing php (or ruby for this matter) to
java is like comparing bicycles with cars.
Sure its fun to make a ride on sunday. Sure it's ok to bike to the
office on a sunny day, if the office is 30 minutes away.
But trying to deliver a fridge to the customer with a bike is rather stupid.

regards
Leon

Btw. I'm ashamed that I don't know it, but does C# has a similar
concept to ThreadLocals?