tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Rashmi Rubdi <dev_subscripti...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: JSessionId and Google
Date Wed, 06 Dec 2006 23:03:17 GMT
Hi Simon,

There is a debate about this topic and there are a few threads on this, in the archive.

While it is true for some that the jsessionid appears in the URL, it's not happening in my
case and
I don't have a clear explaination as to why.

But if you are unable to remove jsessionid from the URL, like many have suggested you can
implement a filter
or use one that's already there to remove the jsessionid.

You might find these useful:
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=t&ie=UTF-8&rls=HPIB,HPIB:2005-19,HPIB:en&q=urlrewritefilter+jsessionid

I didn't have to do anything special to make the jsessionid not appear but, my application
doesn't use Struts or other MVC frameworks. All search engine bots including
Googlebot don't show URLs with jesessionid after verifying this in Tomcat's server log.

At present, it's very simple. Just a few JSPs with JSTL. Each page only sets the session.

jsessionid seems to appear only for some, for those URLs/Pages that read stuff from the session
object. and not for those that set stuff into session objects or not use session.

Some have also suggested not using sessions in jsp pages if you don't really need them.

-Rashmi