tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Rashmi Rubdi <dev_subscripti...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Quick webapp reloading [was : Is jsp designed for use by large websites]
Date Sat, 02 Dec 2006 19:19:45 GMT
Hi Pierre,

It's a simple set-up.

Assuming you are using Tomcat 5.x or greater

Say you have your project with all source files in this directory structure:
C:\dev\projects\YourProjectName\__source\

and under __source\ you have other folders such as java (for java source files), web (for
mostly jsp files) - it doesn't matter what structure you have in your source folder.

The wrong set up for dev environment was to deploy whatever whas in the __source to C:\dev\apache-tomcat-5.5.12\webapps\
, to see changes to JSP.

The right setup for dev is to first remove your project folder which may be under C:\dev\apache-tomcat-5.5.12\webapps\
 either in a form of a folder or WAR file. If you have both, remove both of them.

Now, all you have to do is, modify your project's Context file located under:
C:\dev\apache-tomcat-5.5.12\conf\Catalina\localhost\  ,
If you don't have one you can create one with the name ROOT.xml if your project is accessed
via root like http://localhost:8080/  or if you have another
context name like SomeApp, then you can name it SomeApp.xml http://localhost:8080/SomeApp/
 It doesn't matter what you name the context xml file according to the docs.

Then inside the above context XML file define your context for example:
<Context docBase="C:/dev/projects/YourProjectName/__source"
         privileged="false" antiResourceLocking="false" antiJARLocking="false" crossContext="false"
reloadable="true" cachingAllowed="false">
</Context>
The full syntax of what you can specify in the Context is available here: http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.0-doc/config/context.html

This makes Tomcat point to the directory you have specified under *docBase*. From now on Tomcat
will use docBase of the project to load your source files instead of using Tomcat's webapps
folder.

Now re-start Tomcat and make some changes to your JSP file and you can simply refresh your
browser to see the changes, no need to perform ANT or other deploy to webapps to see your
changes.

This kind of set up has other advantages. You can easily control which projects you want Tomcat
to load, this keeps the Tomcat's console cleaner and also makes your app in development environment
faster since the number of projects is reduced.

I don't know which Tomcat version you are using.

The above setup works in Tomcat 5.x or greater.

For lower version of Tomcat the configuration is slightly different, since a separate Context
xml file feature was not available then. I think if you have a lower version of Tomcat below
5.x you'll have to modify the Context entry in server.xml . I havent tried or tested this
but I'm only guessing and not sure if it will work.

OT but slightly related. If you have more than 1 projects then set-up virtual hosts for your
project instead of having a Context file under
C:\dev\apache-tomcat-5.5.12\conf\Catalina\localhost\  modify server.xml located under

C:\dev\apache-tomcat-5.5.12\conf\

There's more info on this on a previous thread